View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 08:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Ringside

I have about the same amount of sobriety as you (late December). Way to go! Anyway, I view these situations like I view lifting weights (stay with me).

I started off weak with my sobriety, and most drinking-heavy events would have been too much of a lift and I would have dropped the weight. But every day I have gone without drinking, and every event I have attended without drinking, have made me gradually stronger. In fact, I recently lifted some heavier weights (visiting a good friend out of town, traveling for work, etc.); I'm really proud of that. And if I'm worried that an event might be a little heavy, I like having spotters just in case (telling close friends I might be seeing - in advance - about my recovery, calling my sponsor, going to a meeting, having an escape plan). I'm hopeful that my sobriety will eventually become a massive, hulking force. Even then, I expect there will be more days when I'm a little weaker than expected and need some help. Have I driven this analogy far enough into the ground yet?

Anyway, good luck to you! You'll be happy, proud, and stronger for it if you do this without drinking.