View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 03:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by dpac414 View Post
Hey hellrzr, I don’t have a sponsor. I did a couple weeks of A.A. and will drop in when I feel like I need it, but I found the program really isn’t for me. I’ve met some amazing people though and I think I will attend a meeting Thursday to help reinforce myself.

Least, I’m going to try. I am the maid of honor though, so I at least need to chill for a little bit. My oldest sister does not drink either (not an alcoholic, just doesn’t care for it) so I will stick close to her. I plan on trying to escape to my room around 9:30 when the reception “ends” but I worry about hurting my sister’s feelings. (I have two older sisters - the middle one is the one getting married for anyone who is confused. Oldest is the one who doesn’t drink).

I was also also planning on making it known that I can’t drink due to a change in my medication (which isn’t a whole lie, as I really should not drink on it) so people won’t pressure me. I’ve told several people this already to prepare. Maybe I’m having anxiety for nothing? I have a decent plan and I just have to ensure I stick to it.
Good. You're working on a plan. AA wasn't a great fit for me either, but the meetings and the sobriety there were most helpful. Go to that meeting like you planed, talk about the upcoming wedding, and get some input from others.

Hang with your non drinking sister. I was surprised when I got sober at how many people don't drink at weddings. This is a situation ideal for learning how to attend without alcohol. Eventually, you will attend these things without drinking without worrying about it.

One more addition to your plan that I would include, is that you have your own transportation, and be ready to leave if things really start going south. As the Maid of Honor, you will have fulfilled your major duty at the ceremony. You may have some role at the reception, but it's not as important. If you have to make a speech, the last thing you want to do is give it while you're tipsy. That's actually borderline rude. You can disappear when you're done, and keep in mind these events done sober will be second nature in the future.

While this is an important event, it's not as important as holding on to your sobriety. That means right now, without telling yourself, you can start getting sober later. Otherwise you end up going from one event to another, always starting later. While this one is a potential stumble, it's also of monumental significance if you get through it without a drink, and that's the pattern you are trying to develop for yourself, so it's also a potential strength builder.

Good luck, and let us now how it goes.