Old 05-05-2019, 06:05 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Bathbomb

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Glad you are here and you have been sharing some increasingly aware stuff, and thoughtfulness just in your continued posts! That's brave - and part of the honesty starting with ourselves that IMO and IME is critical to our own sobriety.

My first thought to your OP was "Gosh, no." I never use the word gosh but that's what popped up! I wouldn't do it, couldn't accept that in my life, and I'm so grateful I don't have to - my now husband and I starting dating when we were both sober. Newly so, but still...

However, like folks have said- lots of people in relationships and marriages experience just what, or similar to, you are. My mom and dad sure did- and after 48 yrs and change of marriage and probably 35 of those involving my mom's active alcoholism, periods of sobriety, etc...my dad's about as close as a non-alcoholic can come to understanding.

Ultimately, they did want to stay married and both of them owning that each had a role but that only she could get and stay sober for herself was the critical point.

I would strongly suggest you add an Al Anon or other spouse of support method to your recovery plan, whatever it is.

Best to you and glad you are here.
Hi August and thank you. I've been feeling all the feels lately. Kinda exhausting. I'm owning my role I think my husband is still figuring his out. I believe he's in denial although he didn't have a drink tonight which is unheard of. I didn't want to make a big deal of it as he gets defensive so I didn't even address it. It sounds like you and your husband met at the perfect time to support each other. One day at a time.