View Single Post
Old 04-13-2019, 04:57 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

There are plenty of sources on the Internet as to the relative risk of severe withdrawal issues, including seizures, based on the amount and duration of drinking. Look them up, it should give you a relative idea of your risk. HOWEVER, everyone is different, and your risk will not be zero. It may be extremely tiny, but it will never be zero for anyone. If you want to get it as close to zero as possible, do a medical detox in an inpatient setting. In any event, I would strongly suggest a doctor. No doctor is going to tell you that there is zero risk, because they can't. However, they may be able to give you a realistic evaluation of your risk of seizures based on your drinking history. I also don't think that you should allow your fear of seizures to keep you from stopping your drinking. I also concur with the posts above that don't recommend tapering. A tiny seizure risk is far less damaging to you in the long run than continued drinking.

For what it's worth, I also concur with the posts above that say that it's not alcohol's fault that we are alcoholics. We can't enjoy the occasional drink at a wedding, glass of wine with a meal, but most people are not alcoholics and can do so with relative ease. They shouldn't be denied their drinks because WE can't drink moderately. I own my addictions, and they are my problem, not someone that enjoys their wine with dinner on occasion.

I think you should focus on your own recovery and sobriety, and let others worry about theirs. Sharing with each other is a powerful force, and this web site was instrumental in my continued sobriety, but it's of no concern of mine that someone drinks moderately.

Please keep us posted on your journey.