Notices

Petrified Of A Seizure

Old 04-06-2019, 03:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Petrified Of A Seizure

Hi Thank You so much for letting me sign up and discuss my situation here.

I am a 27 year old male.

I have been drinking 4x440ML cans of Fosters Lager (4% VOL 7.2 units) for around 6 years and I desperately want to and have got to stop, my anxiety is through the absolute roof and I know it is because of this filthy alcohol.

A year ago I did get my consumption down to 2 cans per day but I was still having extreme anxiety so thought it was not the alcohol doing it so I was an idiot and went back on 4 cans again.

Also on weekends I am binge drinking 40% Brandy, not a whole bottle but too much, the Brandy is just a stupid excuse of boredom and me once again being a complete idiot, that will be wiped out off my life from now on (I’ve been having brandy on weekends for about 2 weeks) I will not miss it and it is making my anxiety worse than what the Fosters is.

In the past when I reduced to 2 cans I found it very difficult to sleep, I was awake until like 3AM but after 4 nights of the insomnia my sleeping did start to improve.

I do not have visible violent tremors but I can definitely feel them internally and you can see them on my hands sometimes but they are very minor, internelly
tho they are horrible.

I drink every day from 9PM to 10PM, nothing before and nothing after, it is literately just to put myself to sleep is why I drink this rubbish.

My biggest question and fear is that will I have a seizure from reducing my alcohol? I plan to reduce to 3 cans for a few weeks, then to 2 and so on. I am just petrified of having a seizure but I have got to get off this filth, I was in A&E yesterday with sky high blood pressure which they believe is because of anxiety, it went down quite a bit once I was calmer. That is another thing that I am petrified of, having a stroke or heart attack due to my blood pressure when I am anxious.

Thank You so much for reading I will take all advice strongly and on board and I am so appreciative, I just want to be off this disgusting poison, it should be illegal!!!
Old 04-06-2019, 04:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome BanAlcohol

Noone can really tell you if you're going to have problems or not - my own withdrawals were wildly variable - its next to impossible to give someone else a yea or nay without being a doctor examining you face to face.

What did they say in the Accident and Emergency department?
Did you raise your fears there?

you can always go back or see a GP if you're still worried

D
Old 04-06-2019, 04:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nobody here can give you medical advice on how to cope with stopping drinking other than to suggest that you seek input from a professional. My primary physician knows that I am in recovery, it's not that big of a thing to let a doctor know, and they do want/need to know to help you. Just getting it all on the table may help you with the anxiety of any physical manifestations that you have now and as you stop. I understand that going through with seeing a physician may be anxiety inducing for you, but really you'll be relieved after it's done.

I had some tremors at times when I would temporarily stop drinking, usually after a binge. It was disconcerting, to be sure. We all react differently physically, but it's not that unusual for an alcoholic withdrawal to include the feelings and the shakiness.

Sometimes alcoholics are prescribed medication temporarily to reduce the chance of seizure and for other discomfort. I was in detox situations in the past but didn't need anything when I finally just stopped drinking. Again, seek professional advice to be sure you know that you feel that you will be safe.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR, glad to hear you have made the decision to quit...you will not regret it! As others have mentioned, we can’t give medical advice here so it would be best for you to follow up with your doctor or the A&E folks if you still have concerns. If you were honest with them about your drinking habits and they discharged you I would assume they felt it was safe to do so, but you can always get a second opinion.

On the note of reducing or tapering, it is extremely difficult and rarely successful as it is also an attempt at controlling your drinking...which most of us cannot do, And at some point you still have to cut row to zero. Have you considered a supervised detox or inpatient rehab by chance?
Old 04-06-2019, 06:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'll echo the point on tapering - it's really hard, and probably all of us tried and failed before just stopping and cutting to zero. There are medicines you can use to help you through the first few days, which is the period where you have to worry about seizures.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Just consider a medical detox. It is not worth the chance. Seizures are extremely hard on the brain. Do the right thing and go see a doctor or go to the ER for a few hours. They will monitor you and send you home with meds for a week. It will be a very good beginning of your recovery.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The doctors don’t listen to me, I never get a straight answer I give up with this whole health ****, I will cut down slowly and if I have a seizure then I have one, why can’t you give me an answer? It’s 4 cans a day. I’m sorry but I’m ******* sick of the poxy “GP” and how slow they are, they are like a tit in a trance, I’ll do it my own way I’ve asked doctors so many times and they never give me an answer.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry you are feeling that way, but our site policy is very clear on giving medical advice for a reason - no one can diagnose your probability of having a seizure ( or not ) via the internet. It needs to be done by a medical professional. It would be irresponsible and potentially very dangerous for us to do so and that's reason for the policy - the safety of our users.

Have you consulted with an alcohol treatment facility directly or just a medical doctor? Many GP's do not have a good knowledge of addiction.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Originally Posted by BanAlcohol View Post
I will cut down slowly and if I have a seizure then I have one...
Have you ever had a seizure? Or seen someone have an alcoholic seizure?
I hope someone knows that you are detoxing and can check up on you or stay with you.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry Chloe no I have never had a seizure, I just want to get off this crap (Alcohol)

The problem is with my GP you have to get an appointment for an appointment and when you go there you have 5 minutes before they kick you out the door and in that time they do not listen to me and they decide what to talk about instead, I just give up with them.

Crappy Alcohol, how dumb are the government to make it legal when it is the worst drug in the world, yet we can’t go and smoke some weed which is not going to damage your body.

Dumb people
Old 04-06-2019, 09:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

And also sorry Scott and to anyone else who may have thought I was irritated at them, I promise you that is not the case.

I have told them in A&E and my regular GP, they just tell me to cut down but I have scared myself to pieces reading that withdrawal can cause a seizure, I just want to get off Alcohol so much, it is making me more and more of a nervous wreck and the hangovers are getting worse and worse.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Things do get better. The first hours are bad, then it may seem to get worse as your body is calling out for "alcohol" and making demands and false promises if you give into the addiction. Once you choose to stop all you can do is drink lots of water, eat healthy, rest or pace as the hours go by. Posting helps. I counted the hours knowing that it would be over when I hit 100+hours! (But, everyone is different. )And I would never want to feel that way again.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I’m an emotional wreck, I wear a Nappy/Diaper to escape and feel comforted
Old 04-06-2019, 03:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're not going to see a Dr I guess you'll have to take your chances BA. Hopefully you'll be fine - best of luck

D
Old 04-07-2019, 02:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

To all of you who have quit this disgusting ******* drug Alcohol. I will tell you something, you should be proud and happy, happiness is what you people deserve and I pray you know that.

**** alcohol, we were not born to have alcohol, alcohol kills, alcohol has never done anyone anything positive, alcohol is a **** poison.

Make Alcohol illegal, ban alcohol from the world.

To those who have beaten this gross Alcohol, I sincerely promise you that I am so happy No more Alcohol, Alcohol is a poison and then it is a drug, the government let us consume this ****?!! Seriously?!

**** alcohol guys and girls, nothing ever positive came from alcohol, what we need is warm cuddles.

I am 27. 27 and Alcohol has ruined my life but I will be free of alcohol in my life soon, cuddles and comfort is what a person needs, not alcohol.

But I will stress from the bottom of my heart again to those who do not drink this **** crap etc etc etc (got to be careful on my swearing but ALCOHOL is ****) damn well done to you from the bottom of my heart, you be healthy

I do wear a Diaper/Nappy for comfort it is just the way I am, is there anything wrong in that?

Well done everyone

BanAlcohol
Make Alcohol Ilegal

Last edited by Dee74; 04-07-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wear what helps you--nobody judges things around here.

I hope things go well with the detox and you will be free of the booze soon.

Take care, stay hydrated, and get sleep if you can.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Whats your plan to be free of alcohol?

D
Old 04-07-2019, 03:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My plan to be free of Alcohol?

I will cut down to 3 cans for a few weeks/months depending on how I feel

Then to 2 then to 1 then 0

If I die I die
Old 04-07-2019, 03:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know you're all focused on tapering right now, but I was thinking more about what you'll do when you get down to zero:

how you'll stay sober, the changes you'll need to make, things like that.

when you're ready these links might be helpful.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

D
Old 04-07-2019, 04:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ok....at the risk of igniting something, Ban, I have to ask what is jumping out at me:
Are you drunk and making all these shares?

Because I know I sounded just like you whether online or in person or in my head or talking to my dog....when I was drunk.

I had to stop drinking to start being able to communicate clearly - and have a prayer of getting all the horrible thoughts like you are sharing out and away so I could get sober permanently.

Also? This is my experience and I have shared it many times here. It is not medical advice.

I went cold turkey. It's possible, many feel strongly against it, but for me, I knew alcohol would kill me so I chose uncertain consequences over certain death, to put it very briefly.

I went thru a lot and while I don't want to scare you with sharing it I want to say this clearly: being scared of quitting is not a good enough reason to keep drinking. Period.

I'm being direct here because you are in crisis- and you are 27 - and I can promise you that if you stop drinking, you have more possibility than you can imagine right now at a completely different and better life. I was 39, finally HEARD the dr that told me I had a yr, 18 mo if I didn't quit, and I finally realized I didn't want to die.

You don't have to spend 12 more years - 1 more year- 1 more day - without stopping, or getting professional help to stop.

You will die if you keep going.

I hope you choose the chance at life you have since you are still with us now.