View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
noaddedsugar

Checking in.. coping with stress

Hi everyone! Just checking in.. So I've been doing great recently and the thought of drinking has barely even entered my head until yesterday.

So I'm in a same sex relationship and have been for six years now. Her mother doesn't approve to the point she absolutely detests me and refuses to acknowledge my existence the majority of the time. I am excluded from family events and yeah it's just basically awful in general. So yeah like I say most of the time she buries her head in the sand but yesterday she decided to let my partner know again exactly what she thought.. stating she was disgusted, she didn't understand it, she will never accept it, she should've stayed with her ex (a male) and had a baby because now she will never have children and she would be so much happier without me. My partner is in her mid thirties so it's not like she could even put it down to some teenage phase.

When she told me all of this my initial thought was to feel sick to my stomach and really hurt and upset.. and then my second thought was I NEED A DRINK.

See recently I've let the little thoughts creep in .. 'maybe I'm not so bad.. maybe I could drink like a normal person' but that is not normal person thinking. My first response to being hurt is to reach for alcohol to numb the pain. So I'd made my mind up I was going to pick up a drink. I bought a bottle on my way home. I was going to check in here but decided against it because I knew you guys would talk me out of it. I decided to do the long walk home and on that long walk I got to thinking.. if I was giving advice to a friend about this situation what would I say?

I would tell my friend that drinking is not going to help anything. I would say it's not your fault your partner's mom is small minded. You are a nice person and you know that so don't let her get to you. If you get drunk you will wake up tomorrow feeling a million times worse than before and the situation will still be the same.

I started playing the tape forward and imagining what I would feel like when I woke up tomorrow. I got home and did a workout, had the biggest meal ever, a long bubble bath, watched an episode of intervention and then I logged in here.

I am pleased to report I poured that bottle away. I know if I drank it because I'm off work for a few days I probably would've drank all day today because I felt so awful.. and the cycle would begin. I'm annoyed at myself for buying a bottle but I didn't drink it and that's what counts.

Grateful for this forum and better coping strategies Hope you're all doing well!