Old 04-06-2019, 04:17 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Guener

When I first started to take stopping drinking seriously, I found that I needed to take it pretty easy on myself to avoid becoming overly anxious of the whole idea of doing the things I know that I could do.

For me, AA meetings in the beginning, a couple times a day (before and after work) were a strong part of getting my mind set in the notion that I was doing something and feeling connected to people in recovery. I didn't do much more than just go and listen. I did this for months, almost a year, in fact, and as time when forward I shared and listened some more. My recovery path changed but it was a foundation that I still have as part of my experience and was something I can recommend.

It's important to have your plan and options available to you to keep from picking up. Don't, however, feel that you need to do everything all the time if it's going to make you feel like it's just too much to put on yourself at once. Or, perhaps you are an exceptionally driven person and find that you need to do a lot all the time. The point is, recovery after the withdrawal can be something you can enjoy as much as it can be a weight to carry. Don't get me wrong, it takes lots of work, but how I did it for myself has also helped me to stick with it over time.

Wishing you wellness on your path.