View Single Post
Old 04-06-2019, 07:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
August252015

So I did a step one over ice cream/frozen yogurt...

Hey snitch - Imma just share my experience on the "other addictions" part as far as food, then a couple things: I've said around here a few times that a year ago, I actually did a step one over ice cream/frozen yogurt....after a back injury, at the lowest emotional point and truthfully depression over the complete change it made to my physical life, I started eating COPIOUS amounts of frozen yogurt.....I'm not a big person (5'7 and when at my correct weight a US size 6/8) but do tend to carry weight well, and after years of on and off issues I know where I am most comfortable, look and feel best. I put 20lbs on top of that early last summer.

I finally admitted that I was getting as anxious about having enough frozen yogurt in the freezer as I once did about vodka. BTW, I was a little over 2 years when the back injury and folllowing junk (ha) started.

For me, quitting the comfort eating was crucial - annnnndddd then it became comfort shopping as emotional stress escalated by early fall in the approach to a big event in Dec. Ultimately, I did a dry Jan (ha, again) on that.

All of this, I discussed with my sponsor and of course, (patient) husband. That's how rigorous honesty in my program has to work.

I don't think this stuff is trivial to us alcoholics - it's not literally about drinking, but it is about everything from filling voids to good self-care to responsible (financial, in my case) behavior.....kind of like my anxiety meds that I am acutely aware of how I am/why I am taking right now, and plan to discuss with my psych here soon at our appt.

All this makes it sound to me like it's one problem after another, but really, it's just my journey as an alcoholic, knowing that alcohol is never the answer and that, like you, I have my program to return to for handling these other "answers" that my mind picks up as temporary solutions along the way

Keep going and glad you have that sponsor- you're not alone in any way on this stuff!!