View Single Post
Old 04-06-2019, 06:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
tomsteve

Originally Posted by snitch View Post

i am struggling with other addictions. Spending money and binge eating. It was only today that it occurred to me that although I have put down the drink, I am using other external things to try and "fix" me. I am feeling pretty empty inside to be honest. Life is 100x better now and I do not want to go back to drinking ever again but there is something missing. Today, I really did notice that hole in my soul that I have heard mentioned many times in meetings. I am having a bit of a ugh what's the point of anything moment. I had that constantly when I was drinking, I never expected to have it in sobriety. I was thinking maybe I need to get out of self more. So , perhaps I could do volunteer work of some sort. I was just messaging another alcololic who has 4 months more sobriety than me and she said to be careful not to take too much on. I have a daughter and I do work as well but I just feel, well like I said a bit empty.

Any thoughts appreciated!
thoughts- it is AWESOME that you recognize this-

it is wise to be careful about taking on too much. volunteering is a great idea. HOWEVER, would it be something that is just different to fix an internal problem?
theres also balance- we can sometimes go overboard trying to get out of self.

HOWEVER- and this is a BIG HOWEVER
youre on step 4.
get kicking on the steps. there are timelines on the steps:
Though our decision was a vital and crucial step, it could have little permanent effect unless at once followed by a strenuous effort to face,and to be rid of, the things in ourselves which had been blocking us. Our liquor was but a symptom. So we had to get down to causes and conditions.

you probably dont even know what is blocking you yet.

the 5th tells WHY to get r done:
We will be more reconciled to discussing ourselves with another person when we see good reasons why we should do so. The best reason first: If we skip this vital step, we may not overcome drinking. Time after time newcomers have tried to keep to themselves certain facts about their lives. Trying to avoid this humbling experience, they have turned to easier methods. Almost invariably they got drunk. Having persevered with the rest of the program, they wondered why they fell. We think the reason is that they never completed their housecleaning. They took inventory all right, but hung on to some of the worst items in stock. They only thought they had lost their egoism and fear; they only thought they had humbled themselves. But they had not learned enough of humility, fearlessness and honesty, in the sense we find it necessary, until they told someone else all their life story.

some of the 4th step promises:
-we start to straighten out mentally and physically
-does He enable us to match calamity with serenity
-The right answer will come, if we want it
-God can remove whatever self-will has blocked you off from Him

some of the 5th step promises:
-We can be alone at perfect peace and ease.
-We begin to feel the nearness of our Creator
-we begin to have a spiritual experience

if you have decided you want what we have and are willing to go to any lengths to get it,then you are ready to take certain steps.