View Single Post
Old 04-04-2019, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I relate to the void. It was like a lack or purpose and direction, no satisfaction in life. It came down to no working relationship with the God of my understanding or not understanding.

The big book states its purpose is to put me in touch with a power greater than myself that will solve my problem. This is done through the 12 steps.

So, my experience was that a no stage, before, or during step four did I have any working relationship with God. How could I? Step four was just the first action in opening the lines of communication which had been blocked. It was an effort to discover the things about myself that had been blocking me. Through step four, taken in about four hours with my sponsor, I came to see I was my own worst enemy. My alcoholic mind was out to trip me up in all sorts of ways, perhaps some of the ones you have listed.

The very next day I took step five and had some experiences as described in the book. That set me up for six and seven, having taken a look at all my liabilities all at once - who wouldn't want to be rid of that lot?

That took me into step nine and into the world of the spirit, where I have been able to stay sober and lead a life of satisfaction ever since.

All that took 90 days. I don't think time is the determining factor. Whether it's a month or a year, the power doesn't seem to flow until we have done our utmost to clean ourselves up and straighten out the past.