View Single Post
Old 04-04-2019, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
snitch

Filling the Void

Hi guys,

I am meeting with my sponsor in the morning and will discuss this with her tomorrow but as I am awake in the UK and it's on my mind and you are a very knowledgable lot, I thought I would see if anyone can identify or has any experience with what I am feeling.

I am 11 and a half months sober so coming up to a whole year since my last drink. Am doing all the right things, I am praying to my HP (although j haven't prayed about this hmmm) I am working my step 4 at the moment, going to meetings, I have service twice a week (when I am not working), read AA literature every day and connect daily with other alcoholics.

i am struggling with other addictions. Spending money and binge eating. It was only today that it occurred to me that although I have put down the drink, I am using other external things to try and "fix" me. I am feeling pretty empty inside to be honest. Life is 100x better now and I do not want to go back to drinking ever again but there is something missing. Today, I really did notice that hole in my soul that I have heard mentioned many times in meetings. I am having a bit of a ugh what's the point of anything moment. I had that constantly when I was drinking, I never expected to have it in sobriety. I was thinking maybe I need to get out of self more. So , perhaps I could do volunteer work of some sort. I was just messaging another alcololic who has 4 months more sobriety than me and she said to be careful not to take too much on. I have a daughter and I do work as well but I just feel, well like I said a bit empty.

Any thoughts appreciated!