Thread: O Well
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2019, 07:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Aellyce

I did not want to be dismissive, apologies if it came across a bit like that. Just emphasized those things because my experience with drinking urges in the beginning was pretty hard, with fluctuating patterns of confidence developing fast / seemingly no desire and periods when I needed every resource (inside and out) to get through the desires of my mind. Also because I read some of your old posts/threads about recurring relapses. Some people in recovery or recovered from alcoholism say that something just changed dramatically for them when they finally took sobriety seriously and they lost all the desire to drink. Many people who found AA life-changing, for example. Or made a Big Plan and no more relapses ever. I think those sudden turnovers are truly wonderful when they happen.

On the Vivitrol treatment, we can't get too detailed about medical stuff on this forum but I wish I had given a try to it in the past because intense momentary cravings and impulses were pretty much the only way I broke my determination and I wasted so much time. Many people have it broader, like they are generally unhappy, can't imagine handling certain aspects of life without drinking, spiritually lost etc. I don't think I had those challenges much, for me it was acting out the intense cravings in the moment. I probably would have been a good candidate to try anti-craving meds even though there isn't any effective way currently to predict whether it will work for someone or not. It does nothing for many people but can be moderately or very helpful to some, it's an interaction between the med and individual biological background that we do not know fully or even too well about ourselves. I know that some people in recovery circuits are quite against using medication to alleviate urges, claiming that we do not effectively learn how to cope naturally. But then why to take meds for something like depression even? I am not a fan of fear-based medically increased inhibition (e.g. Antabuse) though.

Fini's bringing up smoking reminded me of something important about the mental associations involved in urges and their power early on. It is about time and how the memories and associations weaken over time if they are no longer reinforced at all. I also smoked in the past, for about 20 years. It was never a strong addiction for me and I could leave it pretty easily then restart. I finally gave it up for good about 10 years ago and have not had any desire for a cig after the first year or so without it and even then it wasn't frequent or strong, nothing like alcohol. Interesting, because now I can't even recall what it felt like to smoke other than the smell and physical feeling of inhaling it. I don't remember what I liked in it, not even in situations that closely resemble my old typical smoking environments or when someone smokes next to me. I can't imagine putting a cig in my mouth and lighting it again and the whole habit sounds kinda bizarre. This is definitely not the case about drinking alcohol yet, that I can recall pretty well how it felt, including the thoughts and feelings that lead to relapses. Of course not as intensely as when I was only a few weeks or months sober, but it is still intact. Maybe those memories will also fade with time quite completely, just like about smoking.

The balanced life involving many positive and fulfilling elements works so well as it provides natural and healthy pleasure vs. the alcoholic/addicted life that is typically deprived in so many ways. Balanced life including many healthy and productive activities, not merely emotional content and acceptance of limits and hardships. For me, if I were asked now what my most effective recovery method was, that's what I would name: a balanced, productive, connected lifestyle. I personally don't even see many reasons for minimizing too much in early sobriety and focusing only (or mainly) on staying sober - I tried that as well in my first attempt, and I could abstain, but was still restless and remained mentally very turbulent, still had many bad habits and sub-optimal circumstances that I did not improve (I guess this is what some people call a dry drunk and similar). Of course it is not a good idea either to suddenly take on too many things and engage in all sorts of activities just for the sake of it - that is another form of escape IMO and often leads to burnout or the development of other bad habits.

As for relapse prevention and actual recovery program, I personally found SMART the most relatable and helpful for me, both the meetings and the overall resources and views. It naturally clicks well with my personality and values, has strong practical elements and strategies that can be applied pretty well to any goal not just stopping an addiction, and it encourages building effective confidence and resourcefulness. I also think it is very good for many people to make a strong determination and stop looking for potential holes, stop second guessing, anticipating negative scenarios, dwelling on the past etc. Then many suggest that we should actually go against our natural inclinations, use methods that are unfamiliar and not so easy to relate to initially and trust it will change how we deal with life and ourselves, like the first parts of the 12-step program. The latter can also be good for people who have issues with trust, I believe.

Sober mornings are the best, I doubt I will ever stop appreciating them!