Old 03-27-2019, 12:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Meddles

I’ve really enjoyed this thread. I posted a while back about Friday nights, and I still find it hard as my colleagues and friends just go out and get smashed. Normal Friday in city of London for many people. I had to have a meeting with my boss the other day on a Friday late afternoon and he took me to a pub. I didn’t have the courage to say no but I risked my sobriety that evening. I bought four bottles of non-alcoholic beer at the bar and downed them. No idea why. It did make me feel better weirdly, but I was angry I was in that situation. At myself, and at him.
What I have realised though, after doing a lot of self reflection following that tense evening, is that I can’t expect people to understand it. I have been honest with my boss now (so pubs are off the venue!), but it just made me realise that I was unfairly judging him as he has no idea. And even when I told him I’m an alcoholic he still doesn’t understand what that actually means. Now I’ve vowed that if ever put in a situation where I don’t feel comfortable I’ll just make my excuses and leave. It’s not anyone’s fault, just is what it is. I’m so grateful to be alive today, and so grateful to be sober.