Thread: ABF in rehab
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 05:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
djlook

I get it that you're afraid, Schne. I felt that way last week when my son called and started talking about some grievances he and some of the other guys had. It scared me because I thought he would check out early. Come to find out, that's part of the program, that they learn how to settle disputes among themselves and grow through their experiences without turning to a drink. My son is hanging in there and has already grown so much. When I was able to start listening to the growth he's experiencing and stop focusing on my fear that he would leave, telling him how proud I was of him, it made all the difference in the world. It sounds like your BF is really sincere about getting sober or he wouldn't have taken the first step. That's great!!! My son also has a lot of chores, and I'm glad. He needed the change from sitting on the couch, drinking beer, and texting or whatever he does on that damn phone. Your BF is saying stuff, but try and focus on what steps he had to take to get into a program and maybe tell him you're proud of him. It takes more courage than you can imagine for an alcoholic to ask for help and then follow through and take the steps to get where he is. Good for him and the best of luck to both of you.