Thread: Really?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 03:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
trailmix

Originally Posted by Heelkat View Post
I keep asking myself why he would choose this over us. I know the answer is because he's an addict, but I still want to make sense out of it.
You are trying to apply logic and "normal" thinking to an illogical and abnormal situation, it can't be done. If you want to understand him, start trying to think like an addict. Take the words of people like Anvil to heart, they know what it's like.

"At this stage of addiction the addict is in fact functionally insane. It is usually quite impossible, even sometimes harmful to attempt to talk him out of his delusions regarding his addiction. This situation is similar to that encountered in other psychotic illnesses, schizophrenia for example, in which the individual is convinced of the truth of things that are manifestly untrue to everyone else".

"For in the case of the delusional schizophrenic most people are quickly aware that they are dealing with someone not in their right mind - but in the case of the equally or at times even more insane addict, thinking that is in fact delusional may be and commonly is misattributed to potentially remediable voluntary choices and moral decisions, resulting in still more confusion and muddying of the already turbulent waters around the addict and his addiction".

Addiction, Lies and Relationships

I keep asking myself why he would choose this over us
He is already in a relationship with drugs, you are, at best, his second priority.