View Single Post
Old 03-16-2019, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

SorNS…...I was a single mother of three small children, after I divorced their father. After 6yrs., I did remarry. I have a couple of thoughts to share with you...
First, as a practical matter--you may need to do an inventory of your schedule, and distribution of your responsibilities and time. You may need to do a complete evaluation of what your "new" priorities are...what is most important, and how you spend your time....This might take you outside of your comfort zone, a bit...but that is natural, because most people resist change...but, change can be a good thing, when it makes our lives better.....
If you are like the typical "good mom"....you probably run yourself ragged attending to everything and put yourself and your happiness and pleasure as last thing on the list....
For example...I gave my kids a lot of responsibility in running the home...and they can do a lot. I had a list of their chores on the fridge, along with mine. I found that the more they contributed, the more they respected the home. The mother is more than a household servant to the kids...a home is a collective effort....and, th earlier they are given reasonable and fair responsibility...the better it goes....Kids feel important when they know that they contribute value. It really prepares them for life, later....
I suggest to find every way you can to trim the edges of all the tasks that you may be doing....find ways to cut down on the driving, where you can...share with other parents, when possible....If your kids are over scheduled...or, it has overscheduled you...cut back on some of their activities...one or two for each kid may be enough. And, I found that the mother does not have to attend every game and event that the kids have...actually, mine were just as happy to not have me there...lol. In fact, what I did, was to increase the fun times between me and the kids....going to the zoo, together, going on hikes, together, going out to eat, together...having special times, together.
I will say that, as a single mother with 3 children, and a responsible job...I had more fun, and more connection with other people, than I ever had while married. I managed to do more things for myself...and, yes, I had plenty of dating and intimate time. (I never did live with a man, until I married, again). My kids came to understand that mom had a personal life....but, the home and family belonged to "Us".....

for you, two months Is still early days, and, naturally, you are probably grieving, to some extent....and there is still a lot of adjustment to happen....
But, in time, you will create a new normal and make changes in your priorities and life style....
I get that you are lonely, right now...but, you won't have to be forever....there is a lot of fun and companionship, if you are really engaged in living.....