View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 10:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
WeThinkNot

I did the same things that pretty much any young boy did. Went to school, hung out with friends, clocked in way too many hours on the Nintendo Entertainment System. Then I went to college and subsequently entered the workforce. Nothing special.

The problem is what I didn't do before I drank and that was learning how to love myself.

Originally Posted by SkyBird View Post
Wine, beer, vodka- it's all diluted ethanol. Ethanol is a poison that kills you, makes you blind, or makes you unconscious. So why do we believe that it can make us happy? I ask you this- what is INSIDE that bottle that's going to make you happy, less stressed, etc?
When I first got a taste of alcohol it did make me happy and less stressed. I believe I do myself a disservice if I try to whitewash my past history. In the early days of my drinking I was the handsomest guy, the funniest guy, and the toughest guy in the room. Or so I thought. I still didn't love myself inside but at least I had something to help me cope.

If alcohol still made me believe that I would undoubtedly be drinking today. Unfortunately it is a progressive disease. The tolerance gets too high, you're always chasing that first drunk, the negatives start outweighing the positives. Before you realize, the years have flown by and now you are only drinking because the idea of withdrawal is terrifying and you'd rather deal with the devil you know.

Now that I don't drink I lead a simple life and wouldn't have it any other way.