Old 02-15-2019, 10:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Evoo

Originally Posted by AmbyMarie View Post
[left]Im at 9 months sober and wish I could be happier, but I’m terrified that I have ruined my liver and doomed to die!
Ah, health anxiety.

I can really sympathize with this. I actually did have liver pains (and back pain) while in the throws of my addiction -- I aggressively avoided seeing a doctor while I was drinking for fear of what they would tell me.

Unfortunately I was also ignoring symptoms of active and undiagnosed Crohn's disease and UC (I chalked up all the symptoms to alcohol abuse) and ended up in the hospital for a week...

Here's what I do know. Health anxiety can be paralyzing and it was the #1 weapon of my AV to get me to "drink off" that anxiety and push it down.

But when you really think about it, that makes no sense . If you see a doctor, tell them you're trying to quit drinking and want to live a sober life -- but would like a workup for peace of mind -- they will help you get on track.

And you'll be able to silence some of that health anxiety. If it continues -- a counselor can help as well.

Totally can relate, though. Glad you posted about it!

Edit: Oh, btw, even with those pains I had a recent workup and ultrasound of my stomach -- my liver and all internal organs were 100 percent normal. Same with blood pressure, nervous system, etc. -- and I'm in Crohns remission. Your body is resilient, but you've got to cut off the poison and take the step of getting well .