Thread: Old friends...
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2019, 03:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Natom
Not Alone

Originally Posted by NAP View Post
*sigh* i wish i could get used to this, but it is still hard. i'm having dinner with 2 very old friends next week, one whose a heavy drinker (from out of town) and one whose moderate. after dinner they've arranged for both to stay at the hotel of the one whose visiting because they'll be drinking and i wasn't even asked on this part of the excursion. i feel left out. i wish i could get used to this because it does happen but it still hurts. i feel like they'll get to bond and i feel excluded.

there is such a huge part of my (past) life based on drinking that it's just hard to deal sometimes.

i really think i need to find more sober girlfriends!
When I got into recovery I literally gave up all my 'friends' because all of them were drunks or junkies. The chance of any of us having a 'normal' meal or day out was incredibly slim. I felt very lonely for about six months and then I realised I had to find some sober friends so I started hanging out socially with people from the meetings I went to.

I remember walking into a restaurant for dinner one night. There were about 10 of us and it was a nice restaurant with wine glasses already on the table. We all sat down at the table and one by one we turned our individual wine glasses upside down. It was that moment I knew I'd found my new friends.

Good luck finding some sober friends.

Natom