Old 02-11-2019, 02:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by weewillie View Post
Hi there mindful man, your observation is abosolutely correct, my words are from an AA perspective, my sobriety was gained by attending AA.

I was however, at pains to point out to soberFitness....

I wish you all the very best as you come to terms with the original instructions (you received) in gaining sobriety, the help, the advice that has been offered to you.
and the comments in here. (the member's replies prior to mine)

My fault.
In order to be understood more clearly, I will try to be more specific in any future posts however, if any member refers to an AA topic I feel deserves a comment, I trust I will not be condemned for doing so.

I have no wish or enthusiasm to push anyone into AA thinking...that would be so wrong.
We all, have\had our own chosen path in achieving sobriety, quite rightly so. I am sure we all would agree that is the most important aspect.
Warm regards.

God bless.
weewillie
Sorry WeeWillie. I have nothing against any recovery method that works. 12 Step works for millions. No judgement or condemnation.

I was just pointing this out that your post (and quite a few above it) are from an AA perspective. This is an AVRT-based forum and the OP was speaking from within AVRT. Nothing wrong with having opinions based on your recovery method of choice, I was merely pointing this out to the OP and other forum readers.

I use a mixed approach, and Step 1 remains a cornerstone in my recovery. But I'm also with the permanent abstinence perspective, the disease perspective, one-day-at-a-time, and regular meetings don't work for me, they keep me in an addictive place. Saying I'm done works far better for me, and SR is definitely part of my sobriety as well.

The two methods may seem mutually exclusive, but one of my favorite authors said that it was the sign of an intelligent mind to be able to hold two contradictory thoughts/ideas at the same time, and I agree.

That's ME. To each their own.

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
I think the only way to quit is to quit for good, forever, never again. Other wise I'm just planning to stop with the option of drinking again.

I'm done , I won't drink ever again even though I'm sure it would be pleasurable that first sip of relapse would be yummy.
I agree with you mostly. But I don't agree that the first sip of relapse would be yummy. To me even that first sip would be distasteful. "How good it was" and "how good it'll be" is fiction written by the AV. If I look at it objectively, even a small alcohol (or coke or whatever) buzz is not that good or pleasurable.