Thread: Taking the Coin
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 07:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by HFA View Post
I went up and got my 90 day coin. It was a nice powerful moment with all congratulating me.
But I feel like a fraud. I dont believe in the 12 steps. But the coin is a nice.

How do those of you who do the full AA program feel? Id like to go back and get my next coin and so forth. I just dont want to offend anyone there.
Sobriety is no fraud. The coin is for your sobriety, and that's really the goal in AA. Some step Nazis told me I could never really get sober unless I bought the whole AA doctrine, but when I picked up my annual coins, I never heard anyone booing me for my cynicism. Although, it was a rare event for me to go more than 24 hours without a meeting for the first 15 or so years, until I finally left the program.

Any disagreements I had with doctrine, never seemed to matter. In the end, everyone seemed to be happy with my commitment to sobriety, if not to the program. As I ignored some of the AA "suggestions" and took what I needed, members seemed to accept my commitment, while ignoring my "failings."

I drilled holes in my coins so I could keep the latest one on my key chain. It's the only unnecessary key chain bauble I've ever felt strongly enough about to keep with me, at least until that last one got so far out of date, and I started to lose count.