Thread: tuesday
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 09:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

Would that first beer be "really nice."

I mean, aside from the horror show that you're opening yourself up to, and what it will lead to. That's a given.

But let's parse it out. What's so great about having a beer?

You might feel a bit less socially anxious, and a bit more relaxed.

But you will also feel a bit dizzy, fuzzy, disconnected. Alcohol is a sedative. Why is sedating yourself "nice?" I think the reason why that first beer so often leads to the second because it's NOT that good. So we alkies have another, trying to find that "nice" place. When in fact, it's really just a myth, a story we convince ourselves is true.

What's so great about being even a little drunk? REALLY? I'm waiting. What is the allure? What is it doing for you?

Alcohol is a really silly drug. It makes you fuzzy, fall down, forget things, laugh a lot and you're really not sure why, act a fool and embarrass yourselves and your friends.

Yeah, that's "nice." That's a real "good time."

No it isn't.

I remember a scientist talking about how useful he finds alcohol. As a lab solvent. But he would no more drink it than he would benzene or ether or any other solvent besides water.

"Fun?" "Nice." Convince me. I'm waiting.

My AV doesn't even exist anymore because I've honestly come to terms with this. Alcohol isn't great. It isn't even good. Even in small quantities.

If you still think it is, you're romanticizing it.