View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 07:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Astro
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by nez View Post
Life has peaks and valleys. If it was all peaks, we would not appreciate the peaks and they would become blaise because that would be all we knew.
This.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Over the years I've come to love being responsible, being 'there' for loved ones and dealing with problems sober as much as I used to love numbing out and running away.
This

Originally Posted by LaceyDallas View Post
Because if I continue to drink, things won't stay exactly the same- they'll get worse. It's an assumption, at least for me, that I can just drink indefinetly with zero consequences.
And this. OK actually all these posts are spot on for me. There are still occasional times when I lose my steam in recovery and wonder what the point of it is. But then I have days when my grandkids wake me up to make them breakfast and I'm reminded. There are days when I'm walking through the woods with a fishing pole or rifle and I remember that there was a time when alcohol held me prisoner in my home. And of course there are times when I'm near alcohol and I feel that old pull.

My sobriety needs frequent recharging with meetings, church, readings, prayer, meditation, time with God, and time with family and friends that reminds me that I'm loved and valued, we all are. There are very few meaningless moments in my life nowadays, for the most part I cherish every second I'm alive.