View Single Post
Old 02-09-2019, 03:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

Hi xNOiSEx

I'm sorry for all you have going on right now. I won't speak to the counselling or the medico thing - sounds like you feel you have that in hand.

Let me share some experience tho. I know in the past I had an idealised idea of recovery - my life would be perfect...and when, of course, it was not - I went back to drinking.

I think I missed the point there for a lot of years - it's not about life getting better (although in the long term it certainly does) it's about me getting better.

By the end I'd be drinking for so many reasons that I lost all confidence in my capacity to deal with hard things.

Staying sober gave me the realisation that I was far more capable and competent than I knew - and I was stronger too.

Over the years I've come to love being responsible, being 'there' for loved ones and dealing with problems sober as much as I used to love numbing out and running away.

The difference is this way nourishes me and helps me grow - running away simply depletes me.

I may indeed die tomorrow - who knows? - but I'd rather have lived a life rather than waiting for the end to come?

Stand your ground - its tough and new and uncomfortable I know...but you're heading in the right direction IMO.

D