View Single Post
Old 02-09-2019, 06:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
lessgravity

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
How did it go less?
Thanks for asking August. It was fine. When we arrived they were late to seat us, so of course brought a round of wine for everyone. I was the only one out of eight people who refused. I find that I become very aware of this fact while it's happening. I know of course that no one else is really caring or even recognizing that I'm standing there without a glass of wine in my hands. But I am still very aware of it.
​​​​​​
And then when we first sat down for dinner everyone ordered a cocktail. Same feeling, more of being left out than of actually wanting to participate. And that's more the general feeling I felt by the end. I ended up having a very nice dinner and was social and had a nice time. One friend was visibly drunk by the the end. I felt no envy at being in that state.

​​​​​The main thing for me it turns out is that I used to be a drinker. Everyone at dinner last night was at least aware of this via the experience of drinking with me. No one even questioned whether I was drinking or why I wasn't drinking last night. It's a level of discomfort for me in that it's not completely open, the fact that I no longer drink. Like a Band-Aid being pulled off, I guess I want that to be out in the open and finally established for everyone.