View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 09:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
NessunDorma

At the risk of over thinking this, I wonder if one issue is our own beliefs. I was brought up to believe that the inability to drink alcohol was some sort of deficiency - my parents regarded teetotallers as odd, and as a teenager my friends would label people who didn’t drink a lot as lightweight.

When I started out in sobriety I was a defensive - with hindsight as much because of my own reaction as others. I recall the period of early sobriety as all a bit desperate, then I became sort of militant, mentally replacing my inability to drink with new skills I acquired in sobriety (“well I can’t drink but they can’t run a marathon, play a musical instrument” etc). Over time though I have moved on, fundamentally believing that an inability to drink is no sort of weakness, and recognising the practice of sobriety is a positive thing whether you are susceptible to alcohol or not. I just decline alcoholic drinks and it’s not an issue for me - I think it’s not an issue for others, but then I’m not really looking for it one way or another.