View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 07:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

I quit and didn't go to AA so maybe to outsiders I look a little like your uncle 'not working a programme' but the reality was it was hard work and not just for a few weeks.

For me I'd drunk as much as I wanted for 20 years and ended up drinking all day everyday so I still wanted to drink for quite some time.

Over time those the intensity of the desire got less and less until they were what I can only describe as daydream - 'wouldn't it be nice if...'

It took me at least 3 months to realise that alcohol still had had a hold on the way I thought and the things I wanted - even tho I'd been sober 90 days.

After those 90 days I became to recover my right mind but as I say I had cravings from time to time throughout my first year. The second year was much more settled.

I can't tell you when my last craving was but it was easily dismissed

I still am glad I can log in here everyday and remind myself of whats at stake if I drink again.

I hope hearing it's a hard and long process doesn't put you off - most things worth doing are both hard and long - and support really helps - and there's a ton of that here.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 02-08-2019 at 07:59 PM.