View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 01:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lessgravity

Talking about not drinking

I know this is one of the most common threads for newcomers and one I've written about before, read about many times and commented on in the past. In a way I think I know the type of responses and I'm going to get to this, but I'm posting nonetheless.

Tonight I have dinner with some family and friends. We're going out to a restaurant. A small group that I'm very close to. I think that one among them, one is aware of my previous struggles with alcohol, and she knows that I'm not drinking anymore. I know this only because the last time she was over my house, she opened up a bottle of wine with my wife but didn't even offer me a glass.

I know it's no one's business what I decide to do with my life. I know there's nothing to be ashamed of when it comes to not drinking anymore. But I also know that there is a level of awkwardness and discomfort to these conversations when had among people who still drink and who do socially and responsibly.

Anyhow I'm sure it's going to come up tonight, as everyone I'm going out with drinks. When the waitress comes around I'll indicate that I don't need a glass for the wine. It is what it is.

​​​​​I cherish my sobriety with all of the things in me that are of value. But I'm not really looking forward to the experience of sitting through a dinner while others drink and of having any conversation at all as to why I'm not. Thanks for letting me vent. Upward and onward.

​​​​​​