Thread: 4th time lucky?
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 08:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sameoldsameold

4th time lucky?

I wasn't going to post today as I am just on the verge of heading off on a trip for a few days and won't have any internet. I won't see any responses that might come and I didn't want people to think I was ignoring them.

But, in the end, I have decided to post. I have been to SR three times before and at least two of my previous short stints can be found by looking at my old threads.

The last time was in 2017, I think. Since then life has been a patchwork of the odd month of abstinence, the odd month of moderation and some periods of excess too. In short, despite putting some work into a plan last time, I have failed in my attempts to stop drinking.

Overall, I drink less than in years gone by but still enough to cause me problems. So it is too much. Essentially my problem has not changed. I remain unable to predictably moderate my drinking and, on occasions, this leads to really bad outcomes for me, quite apart from the ongoing abrasion to my health, my relationships and my wallet.

I want to stop. I want to live differently and despite currently being a bit low on confidence I am determined to give it another go. I know that I have to try something different and next week I will be visiting an AA group and seeing a counsellor. Not things I have ever tried before.

So, though I am sorry to be back here for these reasons, it has already been very good to connect to some other members and I have been delighted to hear that they are doing well. It is encouraging to me.

So, forgive me if I don't respond to any of you for a few days. I will when I can. For now, from me on another Day 1, hello to you all and the very best of fortunes in your own journeys.