View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 05:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
MyLittleHorsie

It wasn't for me either.

I did a few meetings, read the book and it just didn't fit. It doesn't have to.

For me, I took a little from everything. AA, secular, books. I also opened myself up more. I am an expert at isolating. You are whom you associate with. I spent more time with my church family, became more engaged with the organizations I work with. Instead of blowing into meetings, telling everyone what to do and then blowing back out, off to the next "thing", because I was oh so busy; I spent time, I listened. I accepted other people's input. Nothing to do with alcohol, but changing my outlook on life in general. I got introspective, I forgave myself. I started to grow. I spent time on here.

It started after Oktoberfest in 2017, I quit booze. In August 2018, I quit sugar and in December, finally quit nicotine. No one method, except surrounding myself with people I sincerely respect, whose lives I believe are good and healthy, learning who I truly am, accepting and loving myself. Learning about addiction, cleaning up my diet, I eat a strict paleo diet, I work out 6 days a week, I work and wear a variety of hats, including public service, I am active with many organizations, including one my husband and I founded, involved in the kids activities. There was no one path for my recovery, but that worked for me. I don't dwell on recovery. With a smile I can decline alcohol, I don't drink, nobody would offer a smoke anyways lol and no, I am sorry, I can't eat that food.