View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 04:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
DriGuy

A community of sober alcoholics can be immensely helpful, and it's hard to find such a group outside of AA. Many recovering alcoholics are living quiet fulfilling lives among small groups of friends with wide varieties of interests, so they don't tend to assemble in organized groups like AA. I drew a lot of strength from those in AA who were able to find long term sobriety. I did not care how they got there, whether by doing the 12 steps, or just out of pure love of sobriety.

It's hard to discern whether the 12 steps of AA are actually suggestions or commandments. The book says they are suggestions, but often treats them as vital requirements, as do many people in AA. This presents a problem for some of us. Do we have to do them or not? Do we have to believe in a higher power or not? The Big Book implies we do but is careful not to call them commands. In the end, we live in a secular society where spiritual matters are left to our personal judgement.

An thank God, because finding sobriety is a highly personal process. You must find what feels right to keep sober. Advice should be respected and is sometimes helpful, but in end the end, you are responsible for finding your own way. It may resemble Bill Wilson's way, or the way of some old timer with years of sobriety, but both have elusive qualities, and are often fraught with personal baggage from past experiences and philosophies.

Your goal is sobriety. Whatever way you discover needs to be internalized, personal, and eventually habitual. All paths require serious commitment, but whether they require one step, twelve, or twenty-two, and exactly what is contained in each step is not important for everyone. I would be respectful of those who find such a structure helpful, but not feel obligated to follow their methods.

Having a sponsor may be helpful. It depends on the sponsor, but it is not required. But I learned long ago that having someone you can talk to about personal struggles is often helpful. These people are available in all areas of our social interactions. Some are helpful. Some not so much.