Old 02-05-2019, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lipstuck

Raising willpower... life is not a fantasy!

I'm a big old nerd and love fantasy games like Skyrim and Dragon Age. When the characters have cast too many spells and need to recharge, all they have to do is swig a restore willpower potion and BOOM they are back in the game.
The dragons WE battle are our own addicted selves, and willpower is a finite, slowly recharging natural resource that I am learning is the most valuable tool worth protecting in my day to day efforts to be sober and free. Whether it be cutting off negative thoughts before I can run away with them, or taking the time to be grateful for the nutritious food I'm about to eat, to even hitting the snooze button and lying in bed, thinking about my family, my life, and the good things that the future can bring if I allow myself to succeed... anything I can do to keep my head above water is crucial. I can feel when frustrations wear my willpower down, when I drag myself home at the end of a long day and think about the "potion" I would have swigged a week ago, and I HAVE to focus harder on being happy, mindful, and free.
Good luck to everyone today... I hope we all allow ourselves to succeed.