Notices

Raising willpower... life is not a fantasy!

Old 02-05-2019, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Raising willpower... life is not a fantasy!

I'm a big old nerd and love fantasy games like Skyrim and Dragon Age. When the characters have cast too many spells and need to recharge, all they have to do is swig a restore willpower potion and BOOM they are back in the game.
The dragons WE battle are our own addicted selves, and willpower is a finite, slowly recharging natural resource that I am learning is the most valuable tool worth protecting in my day to day efforts to be sober and free. Whether it be cutting off negative thoughts before I can run away with them, or taking the time to be grateful for the nutritious food I'm about to eat, to even hitting the snooze button and lying in bed, thinking about my family, my life, and the good things that the future can bring if I allow myself to succeed... anything I can do to keep my head above water is crucial. I can feel when frustrations wear my willpower down, when I drag myself home at the end of a long day and think about the "potion" I would have swigged a week ago, and I HAVE to focus harder on being happy, mindful, and free.
Good luck to everyone today... I hope we all allow ourselves to succeed.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice post Lipstuck! I like your statement"allow ourselves to succeed". As long as we abstain, our mind and bodies will heal. The human body really is quite remarkable.

Stay the course!
Old 02-05-2019, 10:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Apollo! More and more lately I wouldn't want to drink and was even grossed out by the thought, but my stupid brain (can't even blame AV for this cause I do it for everything) would just shrug and say 'You know you're going to end up drinking anyway, might as well get it over with!' I'm never going to succeed at anything until I stop being scared of success!
Have a great day and good luck!
Old 02-05-2019, 07:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I prefer to think of it as acceptance.

Id I accept my problem I can only really accept the one solution that works - abstinence.

Willpowers a bit dodgy for me - sometimes, especially back in the day, I'd want things that were not necessarily good for me and my willpower would jump on board....

D
Old 02-06-2019, 07:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's a good point, Dee!
Old 02-06-2019, 05:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

WILLPOWER- for me this needs recharging daily- here, meetings, making myself be around humans...not a magical thing..even in those games ones 'mana' is often increased only with time- or earnt points by doing stuff.

A good post, thanks.