Old 01-02-2019, 09:16 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  
scottynz

Congratulations Numblady. You have some great reflections as well as planned changes. I think with a year of sobriety behind you, perhaps you are now notsonumblady and ready to tackle other things that you need for your wellbeing.

@ Sunflower, I totally caved on the sugar thing too, on reflection picking NYE which was followed by my partner’s birthday on the first (with GOOD cake) was not the smartest move. I felt annoyed with myself too, but have decided to let that go. I do recognise some of the same addiction type thoughts and behaviours with sugar as I did with alcohol, but it is a different thing and not such an all or nothing thing as alcohol is as sugar is in so much of what we eat even when being ‘good’. I had such wicked sugar cravings while doing a supermarket shop today, I don’t remember the alcohol ones being this powerful, but I know they were. I’m breaking my sugar free goal into a week at a time and allowing myself to have it if I go out for dinner (something I don’t do often). Somehow knowing it is allowed sometimes seems to help with not having it in the moment I want it in the right now. I may need to rethink this approach, but I think we need to cut ourselves some slack. One drink sets us back on a dangerous path, one chocolate bar is not the same thing and an easier clock to reset.

@ Palmer that can be problems with breaks, real life is lying in wait! I can imagine how you feel about all you want to organise before moving back in, but do remember to eat the elephant one bite at a time, it can be so overwhelming if you look at a job as a whole. When I moved back to NZ from NY I felt tremendous pressure to sort everything, especially my late husband’s stuff that I was not ready to let go of at that time even though a lot of it was junk. A friend gave me good advice to just box it up and put it in the shipping container and keep it in boxes until I was ready to decide what to do with it opening a box at a time (having written what was in each box as I packed. The boxes stayed in my garage for a while and I just worked my way through them at my own pace. Sometimes I had to live in my new space for a bit before knowing if something belonged there or not. I totally understand the desire to declutter, but as my friend said ‘so you move some junk with you until you are ready to deal with it - where is the harm?’