View Single Post
Old 12-24-2018, 02:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

So, you admit that you are powerless over alcohol? That one sip will definitely take you back to addictive drinking? 100%, or close enough to that?

And....you don't like the consequences of your drinking?

Great. Then stop drinking. Resolve that under no circumstances will you ever take that sip. NO CIRCUMSTANCES. No "but ifs' or 'what about whens?"

Never.

No decide that you are no longer a drinker. "I am no longer a drinker.' "I do not drink."

Then do what you need to do to get over the physical withdrawal and gather up whatever support you need. I suggest some program of recovery, via SMART, AA, Sober Recovery, inpatient rehab, outpatient rehab, psychiatry, psychotherapy, meditation, mindfulness, Ted Talks, exercise, proper diet, whatever. Try everything if you want. Use what you need. The method doesn't matter, what matters is that you support your sobriety in whatever way(s) works for you.

If you have to avoid certain social situations, avoid or limit them. If you need to cut off certain people, cut them off.

Bottom line is...you are no longer a drinker.

Period.

Congrats on finding yourself. And I'm jealous that you get to discover the amazement of freedom from addiction and a sober clear mind. It's the most wonderful thing ever.