Thread: Needing help
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2018, 12:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Formyself01

Thank you for all your responses. It’s overwhelming nice to read your stories and realize I am not alone. So thank you all for that and your responses. Has definitely brightened my day. I know it’s going to be a long road to recovery but I am ready. After the holidays I am going to make a doctors appointment and be as honest as I can. I think meds would definitely be good for my mental health. The only question I have is where to start. I don’t have a regular doctor that I visit. I usually go to walk in clinics if sick. Should I go to a walk in clinic? Search for a doctors office? See a psychologist or counselor?

Kind of a funny story but I tried to seek help about three years ago for my anxiety. I had an hour long appointment with this psychologist.. he was a much older gentleman. Not that that part really matters, just trying to paint the picture. So as far as I knew (and I thought he knew) the reason I was there was to try and get help with my anxiety. So he asked me questions about how I felt and what I was going on. I explained. The hour went by and he says well ok. You suffer from generalized anxiety... have you ever tried breathing into a brown paper bag? Explained the technique. Come back in a month and let me know how you are doing. Anyways, I didn’t go back. I just honestly wanted to scream out is that it?? I already know this. I need help. Not that I am above the brown paper bag method but for Pete’s sake I figured I would have got more out of it than that.

So any recommendations would be great be great.