Thread: Needing help
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2018, 06:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
biminiblue

I suffered a lot of anxiety and depression and had started having panic attacks. Everyone scared me. I felt like everyone judged me. I was sad, mad and afraid.

That was me when I drank.

It took some months, but the anxiety and depression lifted with continuous sober time. I completely understand the vicious cycle of, "I can't cope unless I drink. I don't want to drink. I can't cope."

I'm here to testify that for me the fear and anxiety disappeared. I didn't go on medications, I've done that before and they just caused me another layer of side effects. I did go to AA meetings for the first three months and they were somewhat helpful. I read a lot about recovery. There are many books and websites and podcasts and YouTube videos. I posted here in my Class of March thread every day. I read a lot on this site.

You can find your way out, but you have to not pick up a drink - no matter what. Let your mind and nervous system heal. It's not well right now. Give it time. Months, not days. I didn't feel normal for almost a year, but I did feel able to face the world with confidence after about three months. It is SO worth going through the discomfort.

Stick with us. Keep posting.