Old 12-13-2018, 02:48 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
August252015

Maybe I am just concerned right now in particular, but I hear a whole lot of "do it your way." I get that and I don't do things the same way as everyone else in AA - but I do follow a path I started learning from people who have what I wanted. A happy, joyous and free life lived sober and well.

I firmly believe two things I think fit to mention here-
Alcoholism is absolutely "cunning, baffling and powerful." We get free of any need to fear it, in AA speak, and can go and do whatever we like .... but our choices need to be guided by fundamental premises. I trust myself bc I know when NOT to trust myself.

Second, something I have heard and observed often in just my own sober time, is that a relapse starts well before the first drink.
I think that is something so crucial to remember - a relapse starts well before the first drink.

If you are committed to any progam of recovery, and it's a good one working for you then no, you probably won't drink just bc you bake boozy food or go to a liquor store. But my position is that making the next right choice that keeps me going on a solid path of recovery means I am moving ever further from the potential relapse rather than closer to the drink.

Take care of yourselves - it's def up to each of us to do what we need to do to stay on track.