Thread: Surreal feeling
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 10:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AutumnMama

I think when we enter situations that are overwhelming, our brain sort of goes on 'autopilot' just to keep us putting one foot in front of the other, while the rest of the brain is busy trying to cope with what's going on. I think that push-pull between the autopilot of doing tasks (packing, getting alanon group set up, cleaning, cooking, etc) and dealing with a huge change in your life, can feel a bit disorienting. Like, some days it's just too much to deal with, so you just push the feelings aside and focus on getting stuff done, and other days you feel strong enough to dwell in the feelings and give them some space in your brain. I also think once you're settled, you will be able to focus a little more on how you're feeling, especially once you feel you're in a safe space. Then the fog will start to lift

My only suggestion, as my husband moved out in March, is to keep busy. Keep putting yourself out into the world, around people, with friends, etc. It reminds me that I'm not alone in this, and that there are people who I could lean on if needed. Being alone doesn't always mean that you'll be lonely