View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 05:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
i dunno i got over 7 years sobriety. and theres a lot of stuff i simply dont post about becasue i dont get the help i need here. I also ponder going to aa but i feel like i just get empty talk. Ya know "you'll figure it out" type stuff lots of feel good fluff but it lacks substance.
I think it's imperative to sort through the input you get, and decide for yourself what is helpful and what is fluff. Whether what worked for someone else works for you, and whether you really want to get sober.

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
Getting sober was way way way way harder then what i got going on. but it still aint easy.
Getting sober is not easy. I would put my sobriety among the 10 most daunting accomplishments of my life. But when I got to my bottom, I recognized sobriety as the only alternative.

You may be having a hard time, but you may not be at your bottom yet. Some people don't hit bottom until they are near death. I've heard frightening stories about people's bottoms. Some may have been exaggerated for effect, but not all of them.

I'd call myself a high bottom drunk. I had not yet ruined my life, just messed it up some, but at the very end, it was like I'd stepped into an elevator shaft, and the plunge downward was so fast that it scared me to death.

And in retrospect, my bottom was actually much lower than what I thought. It's just that I spent very little time in that sudden downward plunge before I managed to salvage my life, finances, and job. So what I saw as my high bottom was the part just before I stepped into the elevator shaft. But during that plunge I was doing some incredibly stupid things for which I am still ashamed.