Thread: Change01
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 04:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grymt
All is Change

Acceptance is important on the path to sobriety. Recognition that intoxicants are a problem. Not just recognition but also acceptance that there is a way out of the problem. But it is true acceptance that makes the difference . . . Acceptance without acting on it is like sitting on a chair describing a marathon race. If you don't get out of the chair and put one foot in front of the other you won't get to the finish line.

You might be able to describe the path of the race in fine elaborate detail and you might have many people listening, and applauding, as you reach the finish line description but the only person listening to, or telling, the story who can reach the finish line is the one who gets up and sets out on the path.

Acceptance without the action is blind. You might sit and pray "please take me to the finish line, please take me to the finish line, please take me to the finish line.". You might squeeze your eyes shut and wish it to happen. Light candles, make pfferings.. Blind faith. You may think the wishes of a wise person can help you reach the finish line. You may think that if you can explain the path you will somehow be carried to the finish line. Blind acceptance. Blind knowledge. In the end, the only thing that will take you towards the finish line is you yourself getting up off your butt and doing the hard work.

As you do so you will confront all the reasons why you have in the past chosen to take intoxicants. You will need a strong, focused mind. (Continuous, equanimous mindfulness of the in and out breathing will give you that.) Stay close to support. Like here on soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism , your local AA and so on. It will take time and commitment to ride out the storms and to change a long cherished habit to avoid the realities you are now facing but it can be done and is done on a daily basis by many people across the globe. The result is well worth it. Be Happy.