Old 12-03-2018, 04:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
orderfororder

I am only coming up on two months myself, so I could very much be speaking from the "pink cloud" perspective. But to me, the lack of drive and the drinking go hand in hand. Meaning that my lazy tendencies led to lack of ambition which led to more boredom which led to drinking. Of course there were other reasons for my drinking (the anti-anxiety effects), but the boredom is what perpetuated the real problematic kind of drinking (the drinking alone, the drinking just to pass the time).

Lately, I have been going to the gym almost everyday and am eating much better (for the most part...I will still let myself indulge in 'bad' food if it keeps me from drinking) as well as trying new things.

But I've been obsessed with exercise in the past and eventually became bored of it. So I know that I can't depend on these activities to keep me afloat. I'm thinking that every few weeks or so I have to try and change things up a bit so that I don't become bored of my routine. That said, I can't just run away from boredom. It is a part of life. The real work, I think, will be in allowing myself to be bored and letting it pass as uncomfortable as it can be rather than quickly trying to drown it with drinks.

I know exactly what you mean about not really knowing who you are anymore. I have those same thoughts now. I'm trying to work it out, but I think it will take some time. It's like we have to refind joy and meaning in a way that is not related to our old habits. Eventually our mind will have rewired enough that we see ourselves in this new light.