View Single Post
Old 11-18-2018, 01:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bananapancakes

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Absolutely, I think that's completely normal! It's the irrational guilt you have to look out for.

He's probably been in the vulnerable state of recovery several times?

The guilt and sadness will fade with time for sure, as long as you keep moving forward. It sounds like you are comfortable that you gave it your best shot.

You seem pretty grounded really.
Thanks trailmix. That is a very nice compliment (to say I seem grounded). It took me a long time to get to this place and I have good days and bad days. One day at a time... And to answer your question- yes, he has been in that vulnerable state of recovery many times before. This is not his first time in rehab either. The hardest thing for me was that he let me believe that he was suffering from PAWS when really he was just intoxicated. I know he was protecting his addiction but I was naively worried that he needed to see a neurologist because I thought his PAWS symptoms were so bad. It seems so naive in retrospect that I still trusted him when he told me he wasn't under the influence despite the history... To me, the fact that he let me convince myself of that... that was my final straw I think. Anyways, I wish him all the best. I hope things get much better for both of us, even if we are not together. Thanks for your responses.