View Single Post
Old 11-14-2018, 05:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Troubledone

My heart goes out to you. My niece did the same thing. Sadly, the ultimate outcome was that her behavior got so bad I had to have her committed. to do that, I had to keep a long record of symptoms and behavior, call the mobile pysch unit enough times to create a history and wait until she was in the hospital.

With that (and some other behavior), I was able to talk with our county department that moves forward commitments.

I hope your situation does not get that far, but when someone is an adult, there isn't a lot you can do unless you are in touch with their doctors and have some access to their information. If you do, sometimes in the short term, participating in the mental health piece makes a difference. If they are not stable mentally, not much else works.

If your daughter is mentally ill, consider taking some of the NAMI courses about dealing with that. If she is open to you talking with her doctors, etc., sometimes you can partner with them. If not (like my niece), sometimes the best you can do is set boundaries and wait for an opening (hospitalization or some other event) that allows something to shift.

My niece is 37 and acts 16 (on a good day), but I do see her getting better in a facility where she knows if she doesn't tow the line, she'll be worse off.

wishing you a path to a better place.