View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 07:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Troubledone

Walkedon -

I feel your pain. Your daughter is very new out of rehab and newly sober. It is always so hard in the beginning.

All I can offer is that when my niece is acting angry or depressed, I just listen, empathize and affirm the idea that she won't feel like this forever and that she will be able to figure it out one day at a time. I encourage any of the positive things she chooses for herself and try not to give advice that she is likely to see as judging her. Sometimes that helps her, sometimes it doesn't, but it helps me realize in the moment that I can emotionally support her and love her, but it will be up to her to figure out her life.

Is your daughter living at home? How old is she? Was she in the hospital for dual conditions?

If so, so much rides on getting the right meds if there is a dual condition. And it takes a while for that to get sorted out. I was given the advice that my niece after getting the meds right would be very different than before they were balanced out - and it has been true.

I also really understand how confusing this can all be - and exhausting and maddening. This is some of the hardest stuff anyone can go through.

Prayers that you find ways to take exquisite care of yourself as you work through all this. You will need every bit of self care, self compassion and boundaries you can manage to support yourself in order to stay in a healthy place as you navigate this chapter.

If you can do that, you will have the strength to stay present, aware and make decisions based your inner wisdom.

Prayers for your journey - I know how hard it is!