View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 11:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Troubledone

I find your question thought provoking "What is expected of me now".

Apologies if this seems too philosophical, my first thought was - who is doing the expecting?

I find I like to check out the questions I ask myself because sometimes my answer is in asking a different question.

Maybe another one might be: What is the best thing I can do, day by day, to help myself and my daughter heal, recover, build a better life?

that is s much harder question and requires that each and every day I look at what's happening, do what I feel called to do and check out the results. (mostly because I don't always make the best call).

That's where I found posting here about specifics and attending meetings can help. There are many people with a lot of experience that can provide perspective and challenging questions that help all of us figure out this labyrinth or relationship.

I do resonate very much with what hopeful said. Staying in loving relationship while setting boundaries that help you live your life in a healthy way is a very good start. It models self-care and keeps the relationship going.

And, I would also say that in my 14 year, three-treatment battle with addiction with my niece (who really is more like a daughter to me), I think I finally figured out that just listening and affirming her ability to figure things out was more helpful than any advice or fixing ever was.

Hoping you find the most healthy balance in this emerging and hopeful time.