Thread: Uhmm....hi?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 11:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
MantaLady
Ocean Lover!

Hi Sidekick. So sorry to hear that your mum is having to go through this. Like others have mentioned a drink isn’t going to help you get through. It will make you feel worse, take away your ability to be present for your mum and for you too. I am not sure what country you are in but in the U.K. we have Macmillan which is a charity that supports cancer sufferers and their families and they are great. Wherever you are look up something similar and get engaged with them. It will help to talk to others who are in the same situation.

The best thing you can do for your mum is to stay sober, be present and clear headed. My gran became ill when I was still drinking and I got a DUI so I couldn’t visit her very much (she lived 200 miles away). I used to call her for a chat and she could tell I had had a drink and she worried about me so much. I still get upset and regret making her worry about me in the time she had left with us, I wish I had stayed sober and been able to let her know I was going to be ok.

AA might be a good option too as you will meet people and get support from people who get it, people who also use alcohol to cope with the stresses of life. Here you can be honest and open and not internalise your feelings.

Keep posting and take care of yourself, SR is a great place for support with lots of wise and caring people. You don’t have to do this alone. xx