View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 06:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
AAPJ

A Suggestion For Everyone

Hello all. A thought for you to consider. It's about your location. Many folks here have chosen not to provide any location information in your posting profile. I certainly understand the desire to be private here as at least for some of us the fact that we participate in an addiction forum is not something we want to share with the world. But as I have been on this forum for a while I have come to realize that a bit of location information can be helpful. For example as you can see from my location information I am on the east coast of the USA. That means that I probably live in an area where there are lots of AA meetings to choose from. So if I'm troubled someone here might say to me "get your butt to an AA meeting" which would be good advice. However, I realize (mostly through participation in this forum) that many parts of the world don't have many or even any local AA meetings to choose from. But if I don't know something about your location I can't figure out what might be the most helpful thing to post for you. Suggesting to someone that they should go to an AA meeting might not be helpful if you live in a country where AA really does not have much of a footprint.

So my ask is for you to consider providing some location information if possible. You certainly don't need to be too specific. Although there are guys like BullDog777 who is comfortable sharing his city and state location I realize that for many of us a broader location description would help us feel more comfortable in keeping their privacy secured. (BTW I mentioned BD777 because I admire his contributions to this site.)

A couple of misc. items. First feel free to criticize or disagree with me if you have a different POV. I learn more from folks who disagree with me than folks who agree with me. Second, I posted this in the Newcomers forum because this is the forum that gets the most traffic.

Thanks for considering my suggestion. Have a great day.