Notices

A Suggestion For Everyone

Old 11-09-2018, 06:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Suggestion For Everyone

Hello all. A thought for you to consider. It's about your location. Many folks here have chosen not to provide any location information in your posting profile. I certainly understand the desire to be private here as at least for some of us the fact that we participate in an addiction forum is not something we want to share with the world. But as I have been on this forum for a while I have come to realize that a bit of location information can be helpful. For example as you can see from my location information I am on the east coast of the USA. That means that I probably live in an area where there are lots of AA meetings to choose from. So if I'm troubled someone here might say to me "get your butt to an AA meeting" which would be good advice. However, I realize (mostly through participation in this forum) that many parts of the world don't have many or even any local AA meetings to choose from. But if I don't know something about your location I can't figure out what might be the most helpful thing to post for you. Suggesting to someone that they should go to an AA meeting might not be helpful if you live in a country where AA really does not have much of a footprint.

So my ask is for you to consider providing some location information if possible. You certainly don't need to be too specific. Although there are guys like BullDog777 who is comfortable sharing his city and state location I realize that for many of us a broader location description would help us feel more comfortable in keeping their privacy secured. (BTW I mentioned BD777 because I admire his contributions to this site.)

A couple of misc. items. First feel free to criticize or disagree with me if you have a different POV. I learn more from folks who disagree with me than folks who agree with me. Second, I posted this in the Newcomers forum because this is the forum that gets the most traffic.

Thanks for considering my suggestion. Have a great day.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't see why a location would be in any way an advantage. People can disclose whatever they feel they want to disclose - or not. It's not up to me.

I know I suggest things that worked for me in early sobriety but I don't live under the illusion that what I did or say is the be-all end-all advice for anyone.

Take what you like and leave the rest has never been any more applicable than to an online forum.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can always privately message the person posting and ask that way if you feel it would be of benefit. I understand why many don't feel it necessary, applicable, or even safe to post a general location.

Edited to add: AA is only one way to go about things, there are other ways to offer support to someone in need. Perhaps treat everyone as if they have no access to meetings initially and find out about them as you go, based on what they tell you, etc.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I strongly disagree with your suggestion.

Members should be allowed as much anonymity as we can offer. No one should feel obliged to offer their location, or any other information.

This is meant to be a safe place for members to gather.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

People should put as much or as little as they feel comfortable with and not feel under any pressure to declare anything they don’t wish to. For me I agree in some way as having a country indicator does help me tailor my advice as each country is different and it helps with understanding from a cultural aspect. Saying that it’s none of my business where anyone is in the world, I just care they are here and safe and supported. x
Old 11-09-2018, 09:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nothing wrong with asking someone where in the world they live, IMO, but they also have the right to divulge as much or as little as they'd like. You could always ask "are you able to get to an AA meeting?" and take it from there.

Sometimes I get curious as to where different members are from. In some of the classes I've been a part of, I feel like it helps me get to know and connect with people a bit better if not just a topic of conversation (i.e., "how's the weather there, heard you've had a bad storm, etc"...) so I can kind of relate to what you're saying. I just don't think it ultimately matters from the standpoint of being supportive and of service.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't post my location because I don't want to be "found" here. This is anonymous and I like it that way.

A couple in the F&F forum have been harassed by those that have found them posting at SR so I think keeping it as anonymous as possible is wise for all. Not to be paranoid, just hopefully helps as many people as possible.

That said AAPJ, I know your suggestion came from a place of caring and I appreciate that.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Redmayne

An interesting, articulate and constructive post...

An interesting, articulate and constructive post that raises as many questions as it does answers.

Best then, I think, to keep it simple and leave it to the individual on the basis that it's a dangerous practice, especially either early on or at any stage in recovery to start putting principles before personalities.

Start doing that and it'll be the second thing you'll lose...
Old 11-09-2018, 02:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. I want to emphasize that I was pointing out the possible advantages to the discloser and if one is not comfortable telling us anything about their location that is certainly their right.

The best thing about the responses from those who disagree most with my suggestion the most is that it should be pretty clear to the readers of this thread that my opinion is certainly not the position of most of the folks here.

Again I wish you all a great day.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand your hearts in the right place AAPJ - but again I'd like to re-iterate to new members that folks are free to share as much, or as little, as they like here.

I get so many people PMing me worrying about anonymity here than I feel like it's a good idea to re-state that again officially, like Anna did..

You're free to ask if you think it will help - but members are free to refuse too.
No one should ever feel forced to volunteer information here

D
Old 11-09-2018, 02:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

AA exist in Central America. Also there are online meetings for SMART recovery. I’ve been to AA and it’s not for me, but has helped many people.