View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 07:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Fearlessat50

Hi Cleopatra, I had many relapses because I thought I could drink moderately again. One relapse actually was completely out of the blue. It was like I was in a dream walking in my sleep. For a time I was able to moderate but ended up right where I was before and worse eventually. I agree with what others have said. It really takes more than having a goal “just not drinking” for long term. I think we all risk getting complacent after a while. It’s easy to forget the last bad drunk or rock bottom or whatever made us want to stop in the first place.

I was sober about a year and half and started having drinking thoughts again over some life stress. I started coming back here to SR and they saved me from a relapse. I’m sure of it. I realized that I need to work on my sobriety (and emotional sobriety) every day for the rest of my life. Ive done therapy, yoga, meditation, exercise. I needed to work on better coping skills through life ups and downs. Because just because we are sober, life’s proble,s don’t all go away, only the ones from drinking. Every problem is made worse by drinking. Alcohol gave me only minutes of short term relief and immediate gratification but hours, days, etc of grief and problems.

I am almost two years sober now and I guard my sobriety with everything I have now. Life is so much better without alcohol!

I hope to see you around here while you get back on track.